Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Checklist

I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for The Checklist. Now you might ask me what The Checklist is, even when most of us have already prepared it.
During our not-so-happy college years, let's face it- we essentially meet people who can be segregated into the species of assholes and non-assholes. I guess we all know which ones we notice more (no prizes for guessing). And believe it or not, I actually went out with them *a shiver runs down my spine*. Looking back at those moments, we actually begin to think, "Okay now WTF was I thinking?!?!"
As you start moving on from asshole to asshole, The Checklist is formulated. I am going to quote Russell Peters here, "The stereotypes are already there. I just see them". The assholes are already there... and as we begin discovering new breeds of those, we mentally run their qualities through the list simply hoping that it's least checked!

You know the best (and worst) part about this exercise? Talking to your best friend about it- Because then... the questioning starts. Let's just imagine that you have called up our BFF and are telling them about *the* guy (yes, you feel that almost every other guy is the guy). Here is what the conversation generally goes like:

You- Guess what? I met this dude in the college called Tim (that's the yuckiest name I could come up with..) and I think that I have a mini-crush on him...


BFF- What does he look like?

You- kinda cute...


*If you notice yourself in the mirror at this point of time, you shall realise how starry eyed and officially puke-worthy you look.*

BFF- What's he like?

You- Oh he's a COMPLETE gentleman!! He kept the door open for me and paid for my coffee and was soooooooooooooooooooooo nice.


*This is when you start wondering what other nice things he did and actually fill up a balloon with them*

BFF- Really?! Are you sure he's not like the previous ones you met?

You- Ummm...


*NOW you mentally start running through The Checklist. Is he gay/waiter/jailbird/multiple-piercings/stalker/miser/knows *ahem* a lot of tongues of the world/computer nerd? Pop! Balloon burst...*

BFF- Say naa??

You-Uhhhhh.



Yeah. That's what I thought. Good Luck figuring out The Checklist people! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment